Wednesday 19 January 2022

Portraits in oil

I've started a portrait in oils class at my local arts centre, which should be interesting as having owned oil paints for years I've only used them on two previous occasions and have never painted from life. 

The majority of the people in the class appeared to be regulars and just got set up and stuck in, whereas I stood there like a rabbit caught in headlights, not really knowing where to begin. Our model for the afternoon was Nigel and I was on the last easel with a complete profile view. 


To start our paintings we had to do a Grisaille drawing with raw umber and thinners, using a brush as a drawing tool to work out the angles, placement of features, shadows and highlights. My proportions weren't too bad but by the time the first session was over I hadn't really got any features in, my brush was too small and my nerves stopped me just getting stuck in.


The second session was about quickly painting in the whole area of the head and then wiping away to create the highlights and shadows. This way of working was better for me, it took away the fear of the white board and I also used a bigger brush.

I've chosen my second painting to be the one that I will start adding colour to next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment