Tuesday 6 April 2021

April update

Here we go again. I really thought that making myself accountable on here would help me achieve goals but its not having the effect I was hoping for.

  • Weight - It was ok, but suddenly its going up. 
  • Physical wellbeing - Could be better.
  • Mental wellbeing - Better.

Weight - I was going down 0.5lb a week, but in the last week I somehow have managed to gain 4lbs! Yes 4lbs in a week and although I have eaten some things I wouldn't normally eat it shouldn't account for all that weight gain.

Physical wellbeing - Still not much exercise going on. The house completed and I'm now starting the process all over again helping my aunt clear out her house, having sold it within a week of being marketed. 

The headaches have been back but I'm starting to believe they could be food intolerances as well as hormonal. I try to follow a plant based diet and take inspiration from Dr Greger of the How not to die fame. In his last book, How not to diet he has a recipe for BROL, which is basically cooked Barley groats, Rye grain, Oat groats and lentils. I had it for breakfast with soya milk and frozen berries and it was delicious. However not only do Barley and Rye contain gluten, but I think its actually the oats that causes me digestive problems. 

I started having steal cut oats in March last year but everytime I eat them I end up with terrible burping and I really mean terrible, I sound like I'm belching from a drain, right up from my boots and its not at all lady like. I also get a weird prickly chest and throat thing. Its taken me a while to put two and two together and give up oats because everything you read says that oats is so good for your gut health. If you have gut problems, eat oats, or not in my case. 

I've done my research and found articles which explain why some people just can not tolerate oats. There is a chemical in oats called Avenin that affects some people and unfortunately I'm beginning to think I am one of those unlucky few. Every time I reintroduce oats or wheat I get the gut issues as well as migraine or tension type headaches which can then last for two or three days. Maybe its just time to finally kick the habit of both and just accept that I can't have them. The days I am headache free just feel wonderful, everything just seems so much better.

Mental wellbeing - This has got much better this last month. Spring is on its way and the sun shines most days, fingers crossed this just keeps getting better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment