Wednesday 14 April 2021

Going Retro

One of the problems with clearing one cluttered house into another already cluttered house is having an excess of furniture, so it's time for a revamp. 

I'm over the painted furniture look but I'm not a sleek modern person either, so I have fallen for the current popular look of Mid Century Modern, but on a budget. I don't mind spending money on pieces that I want to move with us, if we ever find our final forever house, but because we don't know what that new house will look like its best to wait to invest in special bits until we move.

So out went my amazingly comfy sofa, but not nice colour (well its now stored in the spare room) and in went the 3 meter long leather sofa from the other house. Not as comfortable but its definitely a statement piece of furniture in the room and the room needed to be decorated around it. 

We have a new boiler being fitted this week and the house is in turmoil, but one thing that we did in preparation for the boiler was to change the radiator in the living room from along the main wall, to up the wall and it's made a huge difference. I decided to paint the wall before the radiator went up and I now have a room of two halves.

The main long is now a deep mustard colour, which looks great with the sofa. I also managed to pick up a set of mid century nest of tables for just £10 as they need a bit of TLC, but that's no problem and i'll happily spend a day bringing them back to life at some point. But for now a good clean and antibac wipe down and they look just fine.

But the other half of the room is different, it has a TV sitting on a chest of drawers and it still has a glass fronted cupboard, that after originally stripping and waxing, here, I decided to paint it, here. Obviously I'm now regretting the latter decision as I want to remove the chalk paint and get it back to its original natural wood. Another project for another day as I'm discovering that taking off chalk paint isn't quite as easy as I thought it would be.

I've also got into plants, I've never had plants around the house until the last few months and now I can't get enough of them. They just make everything look more comfortable and homely. My children are now following suit and we are turning into a 1970s family where you'd have to get someone in to water your plants if you ever actually get to go away.




Its not going to be to everyones taste and it has taken a bit of getting used to but I'm growing to like it.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment