Wednesday, 16 February 2011

A 'Pointless' day

There is a day time quiz on television that now has a bit of a cult following here in the UK, from students to oldies, everyone loves it. Pointless is hosted by the comedian Alexander Armstrong and his sidekick Richard Osman.

My daughter has travelled down from Sheffield and is currently staying in a hotel in London, with her friend, awaiting their recording slot to be contestants and so yesterday we travelled up to watch. Why is everything never as straightforward as it should be?

We arrived an hour before the first recording time of the day, even though we didn't have an exact time but assuming that it would be on the same day. So we had some time to spend in Westfields of London. Wow what a shopping centre, if you love shopping then this place really is for you.

I would mention here, as mentioned politely to me, that you are not allowed to take photographs of the building? so these are just snaps taken before I got escorted out by security.

The posh entrance.
This is where you get your champagne and smoked salmon, for those who need a sit down after visiting Tiffany's, Gucci, Prada and some of the other high class designer stores.

These two members of staff seemed to be the only people in here every time we walked past. 

The flower stall was very up market and beautiful. No prices on these but there were some medium sized rose bouquets that started around the £80 mark.

The window designs of some of the shops were just brilliant. These are all old Singer sewing machines, hundreds of them.

And this wall is made up of old milk bottles and they looked great.

One wall from the previous building had been preserved with it's Banksy wall art.

And when it all got too much there are comfy seats dotted around for a snooze.

After hours of wandering around we decided that as we had still not had any update from Emily about when she would be on we decided to go to the BBC to find out a bit more.

No we were not on any family viewing list we were told, but wait a while and they would find out what was going on. At least while waiting we did see Stephen Fry arriving. Eventually Emily was escorted down to see us, with her television hair and makeup done, to let us know that they didn't know anything either. Another hour later and it was confirmed, no she would not be recording today!

Nothing left for it but to start making our way home in rush hour, freezing cold, tired, and with really really painful feet - just great. So we said goodbye to the BBC and London and headed for the train. 

To start our journey home the first train was cancelled! After another 30 minutes standing around we were crammed onto a new train which would stop at Clapham Junction. The first train to turn up at Clapham was too packed to get on, the next was cancelled, the next was again too busy. By this time our little party of four were not in the best of moods, still standing on our feet - just and flagging badly. But the fourth train turned up and the best thing of all was that it had spare seats. Oh it felt so good to be able to sit down for the next 50 minutes. 

We finally got home very late and I was ready for bed! I spoke to Emily and she said they have now been told that they will not be recording until Thursday at the earliest and will staying in London for the rest of the week. And no I will not be going up again to see her recording, I will have to wait until I see it on TV and in fact I don't ever think I will be travelling to London again, at least not without a proper plan and comfortable shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you got to see a bunch of overpriced roses!!! do you think all those people who shop there, are any happier than we are, when we pick our roses out of our gardens...
    I don't think so!!!! This brought a smile to my face....hope the feet are feeling better.